Monoclonal Antibodies... what's up with the name abciximab?

The following guidelines have been developed for monoclonal antibodies:

1. The suffix -mab is used for
monoclonal antibodies and fragments.

2. Identification of the animal source of the product is an important safety factor based on the number of products that may cause source-specific antibodies to develop in patients.

The following letters were approved as product source identifiers:

u = human
o = mouse
a = rat
zu = humanized
e = hamster
i = primate
xi = chimera
axo = rat/mouse
xizu = combination of humanized and chimeric chains

These identifiers are used as infixes preceding the -mab suffix stem, eg:

-
umab (human)
-
omab (mouse)
-
ximab (chimera)
-
zumab (humanized)

Subclasses
The general disease state subclass must be incorporated into the name by use of a code syllable. The following disease state subclasses were approved based on products currently before the Council. Additional subclasses will be added as necessary.

Disease or Target Class:

Viral

-vir-

Bacterial

-bac-

Immune

-lim-

Infectious Lesions

-les-

Cardiovascular

-cir-

Antifungal

-fung-

Neurologic

-ner-

Interleukins

-kin-

Musculoskeletal

-mul-

Bone

-os-

Toxin as target

-toxa-

Tumors

Adalimumab

infliximab

colon

-col-

melanoma

-mel-

mammary

-mar-

testis

-got-

ovary

-gov-

prostate

-pr(o)-

miscellaneous

-tum-

  • In order to create a unique name, a distinct, compatible syllable should be selected as the starting prefix.
  • Sequence of stems: The order for combining the key elements is as follows: Infix representing the target disease state, the source of the product, and the monoclonal root -mab used as a suffix (eg, biciromab, satumomab, nebacumab, sevirumab, tuvirumab). When combining a target or disease infix stem with the source stem for chimeric monoclonal antibody, the last consonant of the target/disease syllable is dropped, eg:

TARGET

SOURCE

-MAB STEM

USAN

-cir-

-xi

-mab

abciximab

-lim-

-zu

-mab

daclizumab

13 comments:

  1. I like your blog. You are doing Good job. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    nice post about anti body which is really a great .Antibody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable info. Lucky me I found your web site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident didn’t happen earlier! I bookmarked it.Primary antibody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes you got it. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.monoclonal antibodies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find many useful things herewith. It is really amazing for us. Where ever we are, just click on the website and Take advantage .Your article impressed me very heartily. From a last decade I was searching such type of website. Thanks for giving me a space in your blog. I refer this to my close friends who are already seeking for the same .Thanks again guys…
    monoclonal antibodies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, this blog is really amazing and provide me answers to all my questions. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. I got the freebies with the Colum premium and adding this now makes it all even juicier than ever. antibody sigma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I sincerely enjoyed studying it. This subject offered by you is very effective for good planning, hard work and a great team always make a spotless work..I read your article and find that you make a nice point in the service..thankssigma antibody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi please tell me what is the difference between antibody sigma and monoclonal antibodies..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. custom peptide- The information that you provided was helpful for readers. I will have to share your article with others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting post - a helpful source of information about monoclonal antibody. Thanks for sharing this! As a reader, I learned so much from here. By the way, I just want to share this site http://www.creative-biolabs.com/ hope you will find useful information there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know where the "ab" part comes from? I'm always curious how drug companies choose their names and I find it instructive to know. Like with the short-acting insulins, how the names "lispro" and "aspart" are based on the amino acid sequences.

    ReplyDelete